Baking my MOON cake
My collick Ngee Hwee spotted new classes at Phoon Huat website and suggested we all try out making our own mooncakes this year. I dun really fancy mooncake but I dun mind learning how to make it. Still cooking and baking are my passion.
Great thanks to Eelin, she knew the class was going to be super hot. So she purposely make a trip down to Sim Drive Phoon Huat on the start day of registration to make registration for 6 of us. I asked Xian along this time.
We were taught to make Yogult Snow Skin mooncake with truffle fruit filling & Bake mooncake with macadamia & pine nut & lotus filling.
Due to some reasons, a big groups of students didnt manage to turn up so there were only 9 students in the mooncake making class. Infact, we having alot of fun watching Chef Patrick going thru each steps and we also get to ask him lot of questions. I was told that all the big hotels got their mooncake filling from Phoon huat. Aiyo, we were so stupid to pay so much for the "branded" mooncakes which we may able to bake at home.
The baked skin dough
Lotus filling for the baked skin mooncake.
Chef Patrick teaching us how to fill the filling into the dough and "knock the mooncake out of it.
We were also told to keep the mooncake wrapped up in plastic for 3 days before consuming. This allowed the mooncake to release the oil and taste better. So non mooncake that u get are freshly baked. Even if they said so, your mooncake was already 3 days old.
I shared a table with Xian and we managed to make 5 big bake mooncakes and 11 mini snowskin mooncake. We felt paying $36 to get 5 + 11 mooncakes was really a steal and this has solved our mooncake for this years....
This is our mould - a dragon..
Our mooncakes.
The Double fish mould mooncake
Mini Mooncake.
Our end product..
See the amount of mooncake we can make and only cost $36.
The baking kakis..
Best part was that the kids mooncakes very much, and I knew who will help me to finish them now.
Comments